Taxol #12, 13, and 14

In the month since my last post, I am pleased to say that I believe my healing path has continued.  I have had three more Taxol infusions (December 13, December 27, and January 3).   I celebrated Christmas and the start of 2020 with family.  I was hit by a Christmas vacation cold, but it didn't turn into anything serious and for this I am very thankful.

 Infusion #12 - Good Day Sunshine - Life is Good

 Karen, the lady that offered me so much encouragement at Simon's Nursery over the summer, surprised me at Infusion #12.  This was the first time we were able to talk about our cancer diagnoses in person.

 Owen telling Santa he wanted a remote control Monster Truck and an airplane.  The mention of an airplane was news to Mommy and Daddy and resulted in an impromptu shopping trip to TJ Maxx the following day... 😂

Letters written to loved ones - these were not good bye letters - just a way to say important things I wanted to say to the people I love.  This was very therapeutic. 

Christmas 2019 - Not easy to get a picture of all three of us looking good...  


 Taxol #13 - Sleighin' Cancer

Infusion #13 brought some frustration. The last time I had an appointment (Infusion #11), Dr. Sinclair made a plan with me that I would only see her, her nurse practitioner, or another doctor she highly recommended named Dr. Dennis.  I had been scheduled to see Dr. Dennis and I was okay with that.  Due to unforeseen circumstances (Dr. Dennis is not yet certified to write chemo orders), I was switched to a different doctor.  To say that I was frustrated was an understatement.  I am a reasonable person and would have understood had I been contacted and had the situation explained to me.  There was no notification and the only reason I received an explanation was that I pushed for one by speaking up to the lab tech, the nurse who took me to the exam room, and the doctor that saw me.  I was extremely unhappy with the bedside manner of the doctor that saw me that day.  She was not at all understanding of my issue with seeing different doctors every time I go and said it was something I would have to get used to.  She proved multiple times throughout my 15 minute visit why I need consistent care.  First, she knew very little about me.  She didn't mention Owen.  She didn't know I am a teacher.  She didn't know that I am currently working.  Most doctors have known these things about me and it helps me to feel like they care about me as a person, not just the cancer.  She did not do a breast exam.  Inflammatory breast cancer has visible symptoms.  Cancer Care of Maine does not currently have the technology they should have to document my cancer.  When I go to Dana-Farber, Dr. Overmoyer takes pictures.  These pictures clearly show us improvement (or might alert us to any worsening).  When you look at it everyday, it is hard to notice subtle changes.  I am frustrated that Brewer is behind the times and does not yet have the technology to make that happen (I'm told it is in the works), so I have relied on the doctor looking and writing notes.  A lot of doctors don't look and this has bothered me.  The last time I spoke with Dr. Sinclair about it, she said that she would put it in the notes that I am always supposed to have an exam.  Could I have pushed this woman to examine me?  Absolutely.  But I was so irritated with her attitude that the last thing I wanted to do was prolong my appointment.  The good thing that came out of me telling anyone that would listen that I was unhappy was that Dr. Sinclair's nurse came to see me during my infusion.  She is very sweet and explained why I was not able to see Dr. Dennis.  She understood my frustration.  She agreed that I should have been contacted.  She promised to work harder to provide me with better communication.


Taxol # 14 - Thriving Everyday

I am heading back to Boston on January 13.  There I will discuss my concerns about what is happening at Brewer with Dr. Overmoyer and ask for advice.  I will also be requesting more frequent appointments with Dr. Overmoyer to help alleviate some of my stress.  I know when I go to Boston, I will always see Dr. Overmoyer.  Please pray for good traveling weather January 12/13 and for a good appointment.  I always walk away from Dana-Farber with a lot of hope.  Please pray that the feeling of hope continues.  

Comments

  1. You are so right to speak up, ask questions, and state clearly what you expect and need. My hat is off to you for doing so. Not easy under the any circumstances. Here is hoping for good traveling weather on the 12th and 13th, and for your continued improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to your blogs. Thank you for taking the time and effort. It encourages us and helps us to know how to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the effort you make to write your story. Its wonderful to know the details of how your treatments are going and keeps me praying for the little details you need. I'm praying for your trip to Boston, for safety, good reports, and hope from the doctors you trust. I'm thankful they are reasonably close.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life is tough but so am I...

Round 2

Round #6... Sunny Skies Ahead!