PSA: Feel on the First - do your monthly breast self-exam!

For those of you that follow my journey on Facebook, you likely had the opportunity to read my post last night.  I feel that this is an important message and I want anyone that follows my journey to hear this message:

If I could go back in time... One year ago today I found a lump in my breast. I googled what I should do and read that it isn't uncommon and to wait a month before going to the doctor. Perfect, I thought. I had an appointment scheduled for the end of September anyway. That appointment came, I shared with my doctor what was going on, she felt it and said she thought it was fibrocystic breast tissue and that it is very common. She offered a mammogram. Based on my age (33 at the time) and no family history of breast cancer, I declined, agreed it was probably no big deal, and didn't think much of it. Ladies... If your doctor offers you a mammogram, take it. I naively declined a test that could have prevented a stage 4 cancer diagnosis. 
Tomorrow is September 1st. Please make it a priority to do a breast self-exam on the first of every month. Pay attention to any changes you notice. Not all breast cancers have lumps. Share this info with your doctor. If the doctor recommends a mammogram, do it.  #feelonthefirst
What a difference a year makes... Filled with regret for my decision, but also filled with gratitude that I am still alive and have the opportunity to share my mistake and help others learn.

According to the Mayo Clinic, here are some tips to lower your breast cancer risk:
1.  Limit alcohol.  Guess what... I don't drink.
2.  Don't smoke. Guess what... I've never smoked.
3.  Control your weight.  Guess what... I am a "normal" weight.
4.  Be physically active.  Guess what... I walked at least 10,000 steps everyday prior to getting sick.
5.  Breast feed.  Guess what... I breastfed Owen for 18 months.  He weaned on his own and I did not force him to stop at any point.
6.  Limit hormonal therapy and hormonal birth control.  No one ever went over the risks of using birth control pills with me.  Due to painful ovarian cysts, I started oral contraceptions as a teenager.  It was my responsibility to educate myself.  I am not blaming a doctor, but wish that somewhere through my teenage years/early 20's someone had shared the risks with me.
7.  Avoid exposure to radiation and environmental pollution.  Unfortunately as a child I developed scoliosis, a curvature of my spine.  Due to this curve, I had monthly x-rays for several years to see if the curve was worsening to the point of needing surgery.  Are these x-rays a contributing factor to my diagnosis?  Maybe... maybe not.  We will never know.

So what's my point?  My point is anyone can develop breast cancer.  Know your body.  Pay attention.  Be your own advocate.  Lastly, don't forget to do that monthly breast self-exam.  It might save your life.

 Blue Hill Fair 2018...  This was the weekend one year ago that I found a lump and wrongly assumed it was "no big deal".


Blue Hill Fair 2019... doing whatever I can to survive cancer.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2

Life is tough but so am I...

Round #6... Sunny Skies Ahead!