I Can Survive Cancer

In the summer of 2018, I was offered my dream job, working as a Title 1 teacher.  When I received my Stage 4 inflammatory breast cancer diagnosis in April, one of the hardest things for me was taking a leave of absence from my job.  I love my job.  I love the students and families that I work with.  I love my co-workers.  Knowing that I had to leave my dream position behind was HARD, but I knew I had to do it.  My school administrators, co-workers, students, and families were amazingly supportive.  They hosted a car wash benefit for my family and me that still makes me cry when I think about how much love I felt during those early days of my diagnosis.

This week I returned to my dream job, starting year 14 of teaching!  I will be working four days per week, five days the weeks that I don't have treatment as long as I am feeling well.  My school continues to support me and help me work through this difficult diagnosis.  Later this winter I will most likely need to take a leave of absence for surgery and radiation, but I am going to focus on what I can do now, and that is WORK!  I had days where I thought I may never be able to return to my job.  I am so thankful for the healing that is taking place so that I can get back to doing what I love.



Owen also started school.  He is going to school with me Monday-Thursday and is in preschool.  He is adjusting to the new schedule well, though he is very tired at the end of the day.  It is really nice to have the extra time with him in the car each day.  On the way to school he makes up stories about dinosaurs.  On the way home, he tells me a little about his day and then he usually falls asleep.

If you are in a time of stormy seas in your life, keep your eyes focused on a small goal.  Once you achieve that goal, focus on the next small goal. Those small goals lead to the bigger picture goal.  Remember, two months ago my goal was to walk to the end of my driveway to the mail box.

My insurance has finally approved my MRI.  I will go on Monday, September 9 for this and should get the results at my appointment on Friday, September 13 when I go for my third treatment of Taxol.  Onward I go... not much new to report as far as my health goes and for that I am thankful.  


Comments

  1. Such good news, such a wonderful, inspiring post (as is usual from you). xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are able to work again and take Owen to school with you! It's totally a miracle after all you have been through this year. Praying daily for your health and strength. Sending you our love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, Rosanna!!!!! You are full of light and you are shining!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love your updates and photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2

Life is tough but so am I...

Round #6... Sunny Skies Ahead!