Dream On

Music has always been something that I valued and appreciated.  Lyrics speak to my soul and I listen for the message in every song.  When my cancer journey began, my sister asked me if I had picked a "battle" song yet.  I'm still working on finding the perfect song, and I can't imagine picking just one song. As I was thinking about this last night, it dawned on me that one has been staring me in my face my whole life and I had never really thought about it as a cancer fight song.  In a way it could be considered my family's theme song: Dream On.

More than 40 years ago, my dad set out to be a full-time lobsterman.  He had a boat and a dream to go fishing the way his father and brother had done.  He chose to name the boat "Dream On" after Aerosmith's hit, "Dream On."  This boat is still the boat my father fishes on.  In an industry where most fishermen go for newer, faster, and bigger boats, my dad has had the same trusty boat for over 40 years.  This boat has been with him through his major life events - his marriage to my mom 39 years ago, the births of my sister and me, and the birth of his grandson.  The boat has seen good days and bad days, but he has been able to count on it for many more years than I have been alive.   Even though I don't like to eat the lobster my dad catches, this boat has provided a lot for me over the years.  The work my dad did on it helped pay for basic needs, memorable family vacations, my college education, my wedding, and the list could go on and on.  It all started with my dad's dream and I'm so thankful for the example that he has provided.  Thinking about him as a young 20-something year old living out his dreams inspires me to keep my dreams alive.  No one knows when the good Lord will take us away, so in the meantime I will keep dreaming.

I love you, Dad, more than I could ever begin to tell you.  Thanks for dreaming and teaching me to dream.  I have many dreams not yet realized, so I am going to choose to have faith that I will live to see them come true.    💗


This is my favorite picture of Dad and me.  






Sing with me, sing for the years

Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away
Dream on

Dream on
Dream on
Dream until your dreams come true.

If you have a motivational song suggestion, please let me know.  I like (almost) all genres of music and love to listen for the positive message in song lyrics.







Comments

  1. Made me cry,your Dad always was a great guy,and cousin ❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2

Life is tough but so am I...

Soak Up the Sun